This is my love seme-chan
's birthday present. Yes, it's a week late, but we didn't get to see each other 'til then! So. Wanna see how short I'm able to keep my comments? xDProcess:
- Brainstorm poses and composition. Put Koru in first, then Lokar by extension, then separately figure out the others' poses before adding them in.
- Get confused over where to put Nakito. Decide to put him in the bottom left corner, since he goes with Shiro in the story.
- Use red pencil to sketch out poses and flesh out bodies on a 14x17 bristol paper.
- Realize there's no efficient way to put Naki in the bottom left corner. Generate three different poses for Naki coming through the middle. Get Koi to choose. Sketch Naki in.
- Use blue pencil to sketch clothes. Realize how stupid this is because blue shows up less than red.
- Use 0.5 mechanical pencil to finalize lines. Procrastinate on shoes and hands.
- Ink very carefully and intensely. Screw up only once. Use white-out to fix what is fixable; ignore the rest.
- Use up half of an eraser getting rid of pencil stuff. Try extra hard on the red pencil, and fail especially on Naki because his sketch was redrawn about five times.
- Re-ink faded lines because of stupid erasers.
- Twelve hands and six poses to create equals wringing the last drops of imagination out of this crazy brain.
- Black spots are kind of unbalanced, but I didn't want to tone it and wouldn't have had time even if I did. For Shiro I already knew what was black; I also knew Zae's boots from ~roselberry
's fanart of her (yep, that's the official clothing design now
) and Lokar's shoes (although Shiro's should also be black, but that would have been too much), but Akira's clothing design was made up at the time of drawing this and so I had to decide what to make black on him. Also Naki's headband.
- I hate drawing shoes.
- There was going to be a chain (Koru's) linking them all, but A) I couldn't figure out how to make it flow and B) I would have hated to draw that long of a chain anyway.By character:
(clockwise from top left it's Koru Takyra, Lokar Colorte, Zae Rowen, Shirodan Kureto, and Akira Denver; in the middle is Nakito Rikura)Koru:
Good god I hate those chains @_@ but they look so good! Dilemma. His pose was cooler in conception; I think I lost some of the energy in the final. I probably screwed him up the most out of all of them xDLokar:
So much hair! I drew it too long, but then I guess it's exaggerated. He should be a darker-colour-themed character, but I really didn't want to colour ALL of that stuff black, and I was only working with white or black here. Originally he wasn't smiling, but he looked too srs bzns, so now he looks a little evil. xDZae:
I like her pose. As I said before, her clothing design is courtesy of ~roselberry
; her bladestaff is Zae's design. She is so happy
Not much to complain about with this one, except maybe that I didn't get to draw her cool awesome bangs because her hair is flying.Shirodan:
So srs bzns, and pretty epic. His pose isn't my favourite, but I do like it. His right foot should be more back. Mmh. I like how his staves turned out though, especially with the black.Akira:
So gay! xD I love him. He's wearing a vest... ahaha. I thought a tie would be a bit much. Keizei students have no uniform, but instead a strict semi-formal dress code, so he's not entirely crazy. xD I like his pointy weapons.Nakito:
I don't like his headband being black. It makes him look so gangster xD I liked it light. But I needed some tonal balance, so... yeah. In canon it'll be a light colour. I love his pose. The other choice was to have him falling down from the top, which I liked, but this balanced better. He used to have shorter hair, but he looks more scruffy this way. The reason for his baggy, non-formal clothes is that he's not a student of Keizei. He's a homeless kid on the street, wearing whatever he can find. He's in the middle because he's the main character of the story.
I had a ton of fun with this, and I'm really surprised I got it done. It's the most people I've ever drawn in a single drawing by far. Happy birthday Zae <3
- - -
Tools: 14x17 bristol paper, red and blue pencils, 0.5mm mechanical pencil, 005/01/05 Micron pens, Sharpie, white-out tape
Time: Who the hell knows @_@ 10+, 20+ hours? I'm slow.